Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Doom Generation and Gregg Araki

The Doom Generation has been one of my all-time favorite movies since I saw it when it first came out back in the 90's.  It's actually kind of hard to explain why I love it so much.  It's not sheer gratuitous shock value that appealed to me, but it does possess much of this.  I think it was just how absolutely unique and different this movie is.

I can pretty much say that for all Gregg Araki films.  The man is a genius in my book....my book kick's ass! With the exception of maybe "Smiley Face" (which isn't bad..in my book), all of his films have been extremely avant-garde and just special.  They all feature explicit sex and violence, for the most part.  But that is a real horrible way to describe Araki's films, so I don't know why I just wrote that. Probably flashbacks from high school and the last girl I dated dementing my thought process.

But back to the GENIUS, Mr. Araki. He just has this unique look on life and that shows in the ways he shoots his movies.  They have the undeniable high point of good batch of white girl, with the crushing reality of coming to terms with your own mortality.  Everything from the film he uses, to the editing to the soundtracks he chooses has always made his movies stand out from all the normal Hollywood garbage.  And well, I'm not a movie snob, but there is absolutely nothing out there that can touch the magic that Araki produces, save maybe Harmony Korine and Larry Clark, but their humor isn't as warming as Greg Araki's.

I've worked on a few movies in my time, and when I do work that is my official profession, but I still haven't lived my dream and had the chance to work on one of Gregg's films.  Life isn't over, and I never say never..well except, I'll never think its cool nor will I ever pop the collar on my shirts.  That is just motarded.

So to all you Gregg Araki fans out there I ask you to leave a nice message about his works of demented art and if you're not familiar with his work I challenge to test your desensitizing skills and watch one of his movies.

I salute you Gregg...NEVER STOP MAKING MOVIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment